About Us

The history of our existence began in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Large numbers of people from the various West Indian islands settled in New York.  The attention of the Moravian ministers in New York was drawn to the fact that among those coming to the city at that time were many from Moravian Churches in the West Indies.

On November 25, 1900, a Bishop named Edwin Greider of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, who was on furlough in the United States, held a service in the evening for West Indian Moravians, in the lecture room at First Moravian Church.  Because the people knew Bishop Greider, there was only standing room.  Similar services were held at the same place at different times.  It was at this time, that the idea of a separate congregation was conceived by Mr. Benjamin Joseph.  Soon after, Brother Joseph petitioned the Provincial Elders Conference for a clergyman to take care of the spiritual needs of his people.  Brother Joseph’s dream came true with the arrival of the Rev. Victor Flinn, who organized Third Moravian Church on October 13th 1901.  The Church was located at 224 West 63rd street Manhattan.  The Rev. Victor Flinn was the minister from October 1901 to March 1918.

​In 1924, Third Moravian Church purchased a new Church building at 410 West 45th Street, Manhattan.  In 1954, with most of the members moving to Harlem and the Bronx, the congregation decided to purchase another building.  This building was located at 2100 Lexington Avenue.  This action was mainly to provide a greater opportunity for the Church to serve its people and the community.

​The Ministers who served Third Moravian Church subsequently were as follows:


The Rev. Fred T. Trafford…………………………….March 3, 1918-September 11, 1921
The Rev. Paul T. Shultz……………………………….October 16, 1921 to November 12, 1922
The Rev. Victor Flinn………………………………….November   1922 to July 8, 1923
The Rev. F.P. Stocker…………………………………July 15, 1923 to June 3, 1928
The Rev. G.H. Lott…………………………………….June 24, 1928 to April 15, 1931
Rev. Victor Flinn………………………………………April 19, 1931 to August 2, 1931
The Rev. F.P. Stocker…………………………………August 2, 1931 to September 10, 1933
The Rev. Victor Flinn………………………………….September 17, 1933 to April 8, 1934
The Rev. Howard R. Nelson………………………….April 15, 1934 to October 31, 1950
The Rev. R. Waite Stennett…………………………..December 3, 1950 to August 31, 1960
The Rev. Rudolph F. Boone………………………….January 8, 1961 to December 31, 1966
The Rev. David Henkelman………………………….January 1, 1967 to December 31, 1967

The fourth Moravian Church was founded in 1903 by Dr. Charles Martin, and was known during his ministry as Beth Tphillah.  Fourth Moravian Church was located at 124 West 136th street, Manhattan.  Dr. Martin served the Church from July 12, 1908 to March 1942.  With the passing of Brother Martin, the Church was supplied by other Ministers until the Rev. Winslow A. Beckles was called and served from April 11, 1948 to February 1, 1962.

He was followed by:


The Rev. W.M. Cuthbert………………………………June 10, 1962 to August 23, 1964
The Rev. Ray K. Joseph……………………………….August 24, 1964 to August 15, 1965
The Rev. George L. Lloyd…………………………….August 15, 1965 to December 31. 1967

The leaders of Third and Fourth Moravian Churches felt the need for a greater impact upon the lives of the people of their respective communities.  They were in constant dialogue, trying to find ways and means in which they could best serve.  Out of these discussions, they came to the conclusion that they could best serve the community as one congregation.  Therefore, it was agreed that the two congregations should become one, consolidate all their resources and try to be of service to God and their fellow men.

At a congregational meeting, the members struggled to find a name for their new congregation.  Sis Alma Thompson suggested the name United.  This was agreed upon, thus marking the joining of the two congregations.

January 7, 1968 saw the birth of United Moravian Church. Since then, United Moravian has worked to exemplify that the meaning of Unity is strength. Shortly after, the New York City Government needed the space that the Church occupied at 2100 Lexington Avenue.  This prompted the congregation to seek property at another location to house their place of worship.  The congregation raised funds to add to what was paid by the city to build a new Church.  In the interim, the congregation held worship and all Church activities in an old post office building given to them by the city.  After the great task of raising sufficient capital to build, the building at 200 East 127th Street in Manhattan was completed and was consecrated on September 25, 1977. 


Under the leadership of the Pastor, Dr. George L. Lloyd and the support of Elders, Trustees, members of the congregation, and the various organizations within the Church, United Moravian has blazed a path of accomplishments, such as, the burning of the mortgage on September 27, 1992, a special celebration of their twenty-fifth year as a united congregation, members actively engaged in the work of the Church, with their worship services, ministering to the sick and shut-in, Bible study and prayer meeting, and fund-raising projects to assist in the financial needs of the Church.

Annual retreats were held where the Joint Board, leaders, members of the congregation and friends of the congregation were encouraged to attend to further cement their unity with each other and Christ.


Music plays a vital part in the life of the Church.  Dr. Lloyd introduced the Chancel Choir to various types of music, among them challenging compositions by Handel, Bach, Antes and others. They were able to bring these music to life during weekly worship, and at special services such as Good Friday, Easter, and Christmas.


United Moravian has been instrumental in developing its Youth membership through Church school, Youth Group, and Youth participation in Choir, Dance, Ushering, Steel Drums, and their joining with other Moravian Youth in their participation in Youth rally activities.  July of 1993 saw the advent of the Vacation Bible School led by Sis. Marie York which has now become a yearly event  in serving the community.

The Church has been serving for forty-five years as United Moravian Church.  The congregation thank God that they have been blessed thus far in many ministries and are proud that they are able to serve the community in the form of community dinners monthly, the distribution of clothing and their continued ministry to the sick and shut-in members.


A great tasks is still seen ahead. However, with God’s continued help, the congregation will forge ahead to be his servants.  We are continuing the work to keep our congregation alive through the various ministries that are in force now.  We hope that in another forty-five years, what we have done today will be passed on.   We continue to build a legacy.  We ask for the continued help and encouragement from all members so that we will always be in existence as a United Congregation.

The United congregation is proud to say that they bid a hearty welcome to all people of good will, of whatever color, race, or national origin.
We pray that God’s light will always shine on us and within us so that we may be guided as we continue the will and the work of God.

The following Ministers served United Moravian Church:


The Rev. David Henkelman……………………………..January 1, 1968 to August 31, 1968
The Rev. George L. Lloyd, Associate Minister………..January 1, 1968 to September 1968
The Rev. George L. Lloyd…………………………….....September 1968 to May 1997
The Rev. John T. Hicks, Assistant Minister………..….February 1, 1970 to January 31, 1972
The Rev. Charlesworth A.S. Edwards………………….May  1997 to April 2005
The Rev. Wellesley Ferguson, Interim Minister,……..April 2003 to March 2006
The Rev. Leslie G. McKoy………………………………..April 23,2006 to May 8, 2008
The Rev. Nigel St. Aubyn Powell………………………..June 7, 2009 to Present

COMPRISED AND UPDATED BY BLONDEL A.B. JONES-GRANT

Mission Statement
"Our lamb has conquered. Let us follow him"

The Moravian Church

The Moravian Church is one of the oldest Protestant denominations, dating back to 1457 in Europe and first coming to America in 1735. Moravians have a strong tradition of ecumenical work and are best known for their missionary work and rich musical heritage. The Moravian Church in North America is comprised of the Northern and Southern Provinces.  The name "Moravian" started out as a nickname in eastern Germany in the 1720s because refugees belonging to the church came from Moravia to the estate of the wealthy Saxon nobleman Count Nicholas von Zinzendorf.  Read More...

© 2012 -2019 by United Moravian Church

  • b-facebook
  • b-tbird
  • b-googleplus